Possible Start Date:
Monday to Friday (hours negotiable), term time only plus 37 holiday hours. Working hours to be confirmed at interview.
Health and science
Soar Valley College, Leicester, invites applications for a new apprenticeship within their excellent Science Technician team, supporting teaching and learning across the department.
The Technician team supports the teaching and learning across the department, setting up and clearing away experiments, and ensuring resources are available. More specifically the day-to-day tasks that the apprentice will support with include:
- To ensure students and teachers have the relevant materials and equipment which will assist their learning, deal with student requests and any last-minute changes.
- To prepare apparatus, chemicals and stock solutions for all science lessons as requested by teachers, schemes of work and worksheets, on a day-to-day basis, washing and storing glassware etc as and when required.
- To arrange and collect items from various outlets, e.g. hearts, lungs, maggots, plants, ordering basic chemicals needs e.g. sugar, salt, batteries.
- To assist in the setting up of databases, re-planning of department resources, recommending improvements in the replacement of materials and assisting in deciding appropriate action, often when minimum information is provided.
- To assist in researching new and replacement equipment and materials, taking telephone calls from suppliers and contractors, ordering supplies, recommending improvements and dealing with queries where able to do so to help the science department meet curriculum requirements.
- To ensure the setting up and clearing away of resources, equipment and materials used is carried out correctly reducing potential injury and inherent hazards to the students, teachers and yourself (this will sometimes involve working with acids and hazardous items associated with science labs and strict handling procedures must be adhered to at all times, especially when clearing up any spillages).
- To be aware of the safe and correct storage of equipment, chemicals and other supplies in accordance with health & safety guidance. Equipment must be monitored and checked and be suitable for class use. Plants must be cared for, ready for experiments and observations.
- To arrange for the disposal of biological and chemical residues and other waste as laid down by Health and Safety Codes of Practice, carrying out routine safety checks on apparatus and materials as necessary (after training).
- To support the teacher in the classroom and when visiting another school or local science groups and occasionally helping students with their projects.
Our science department is high achieving with the whole team, teaching and support staff working very effectively together. Science occupies the whole of the second floor of the building and resources are outstanding with two large preparation rooms and plenty of storage space. The department has lap safes which can be wheeled into any of the ten labs for computer-based work. Practical's are built into schemes of learning and are a key part of the learning process.
DESIRED SKILLS & PERSONAL Qualities:
- Communication skills
- IT skills
- Attention to detail
- Organisation skills
- Team working
Things to considerOur vacancy is being managed by Salad Skills. By applying for this you agree to be contacted by them. Soar Valley College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children. The successful candidate will be subject to Disclosure and Baring service (DBS) checks along with other relevant employment checks.
Soar Valley College
Our school motto of 'Aspire, Enjoy, Achieve' is more than just words. It really does sum up our ethos of working with every individual to ensure they do their best they possibly can in a supportive environment rich with opportunities. Students come from very diverse ethnic, cultural and religious backgrounds. As a school we value effort above all else with students; all can achieve and they do. The school is a great place to work and an excellent place to begin your career.
Saturday 17th, June 2023APPLY FOR THIS APPRENTICESHIP