Arts officers, producers and directors assume creative, financial and organisational responsibilities in the production and direction of television and radio programmes, films, stage presentations, content for other media, and the promotion and exhibition of other creative activities.
Current Entry Requirements
Entry can be via academic qualifications, BTEC/SQA awards, diplomas or degrees in sector-relevant subjects. Apprenticeships are available at NVQ Levels 2 and 3 in some areas.
Typical education level:Level 4-6
- Chooses writers, scripts, technical staff and performers, and assumes overall responsibility for completion of project on time and within budget.
- Directs actors, designers, camera team, sound crew and other production and technical staff to achieve desired effects.
- Breaks script into scenes and formulates a shooting schedule that will be most economical in terms of time, location and sets.
- Prepares rehearsal and production schedule for main events, design of sets and costumes, technical rehearsals and dress rehearsals.
- Ensures necessary equipment, props, performers and technical staff are on set when required.
- Manages health and safety issues.
- Selects, contracts, markets and arranges for the presentation and/or distribution of performance, visual and heritage arts.