Dental nurses prepare patients for, and assist with, dental examinations, prepare and sterilise instruments and maintain case records.
Current Entry Requirements
Entry is most common with GCSEs/S grades. Training is available both off- and on-the-job. Most entrants work towards the National Certificate for Dental Nurses.
Typical education level:Level 4-6
- Prepares patient for examination.
- Prepares and sterilises instruments and follows guidelines to maintain sterile conditions within the surgery.
- Hands required equipment and medication to dentist during examination.
- Assists with minor treatment, such as preparing materials for fillings.
- Removes water and saliva from patient's mouth during treatment.
- Maintains records, processes and mounts x-ray films and undertakes reception duties.