IT engineers install, maintain and repair the physical components of computer systems and equipment.
Current Entry Requirements
Entry is possible with a variety of academic qualifications and/or relevant experience. Entrants typically possess GCSEs/S grades and A levels/H grades, BTEC/SQA awards, an Advanced GNVQ/ GSVQ Level III or a degree. Training is usually provided on-the-job supplemented by specialised courses. Postgraduate and professional qualifications, and NVQs/SVQs at Levels 2 and 3 are available.
Typical education level:Level 4-6
- Installs, tests and maintains computer-related hardware (processors, memory chips, circuit boards, displays, sensors, data storage devices, printers, etc.) according to given specifications.
- Diagnoses hardware related faults.
- Repairs or replaces defective components.
- Advises on and installs operating software and firmware and carries out upgrades.
- Maintains documentation to track and log work in progress and completed.
related to this Career
- BTEC First in Creative and Information Technology Extended CertificateFTLevel 21 Year
- Advanced Apprenticeship (Level 3) in IT ProfessionalsFTLevel 32 Years
- Higher National Diploma (HND) in Computer Systems DevelopmentFTLevel 52 Years
- Subject AreaApprenticeships
- Subject AreaHigher Education
- Subject AreaIT and Media Production
- Subject AreaVocational