IT operations technicians are responsible for the day-to-day running of IT systems and networks including the preparation of back-up systems, and for performing regular checks to ensure the smooth functioning of such systems.
Current Entry Requirements
Entry is possible with a variety of academic qualifications and/or relevant experience. Entrants typically possess GCSEs/S grades and A levels/H grades together with appropriate NVQ/SVQ (Levels 2, 3 or 4) or an equivalent vocational qualification. Some employers may demand a relevant degree. Training is provided off- and on-the-job supplemented by specialised courses. Postgraduate and professional qualifications and apprenticeships in some areas are available.
Typical education level:Level 1-3
- Administers, monitors and supports internal/external networks, servers, email, database and security systems.
- Configures and sets up new server systems.
- Schedules and performs system maintenance tasks, such as loading user applications, programs and data.
- Analyses systems and makes recommendations to improve performance.
- Identifies problems, agrees remedial action and undertakes emergency maintenance if required.
- Performs server backup and recovery operations and restarts systems following outages.
- Acts as a liaison between users, outside suppliers, and other technical teams.
related to this Career
- BTEC First in Creative and Information Technology Extended CertificateFTLevel 21 Year
- Advanced Apprenticeship (Level 3) in IT ProfessionalsFTLevel 32 Years
- Higher National Diploma (HND) in Computer Systems DevelopmentFTLevel 52 Years
- Subject AreaApprenticeships
- Subject AreaHigher Education
- Subject AreaIT and Media Production
- Subject AreaVocational