Medical and dental technicians operate, calibrate and maintain cardiographic and encephalographic testing equipment, assist in the conduct of post mortems, give simple dental treatments, fit artificial limbs and hearing aids, and undertake a wide range of related medical and dental tasks.
Current Entry Requirements
Entrants usually possess GCSEs/S grades, BTEC/ SQA awards, an Intermediate GNVQ/GSVQ Level II or A levels/H grades. Training may last up to five years depending upon the field and method of study. Professional qualifications and NVQs/SVQs at Level 3 are available in some areas.
Typical education level:Level 4-6
- Operates equipment to diagnose and record or treat hearing, heart, brain, lung and kidney ailments.
- Undertakes scaling and polishing of teeth, applies medicaments, carries out post-operative hygiene work and advises on preventative dentistry.
- Makes dentures, crowns, bridges, orthodontic and other dental appliances according to individual patient requirements.
- Measures patients for, and fits them with, surgical appliances, hearing aids and artificial limbs.
- Performs related medical tasks including treating hair and scalp disorders and conducting tests on glaucoma patients.
- Takes samples for clinical examination.
related to this Career