Job holders in this unit group undertake a variety of administrative and clerical duties in national government departments, and in local offices of national government departments.
Current Entry Requirements
Entry is possible to junior grades within this group with GCSEs/S grades, and/or relevant practical experience; higher grades require A levels/H grades or equivalent, although many entrants are graduates. NVQs/SVQs, apprenticeships and professional qualifications are available for certain areas of work.
Typical education level:Level 1-3
- Assists senior government officers with policy work, external liaison or general administrative work.
- Undertakes administrative duties specific to the operation of HM Revenue and Customs offices, Job Centres, Benefits Agency offices and other local offices of national government.
- Maintains and updates correspondence, documents, data and other records for storage in files or on computer.
- Classifies, sorts and files publications, correspondence etc. in offices and libraries.
- Responds to telephone enquiries and other forms of correspondence.
- Performs miscellaneous clerical tasks such as proof reading printed material, drafting letters, taking minutes etc.