Job holders in this unit group perform a variety of technical support functions to assist production, process and planning engineers with production programmes and schedules and with manufacturing and processing procedures in order to ensure accuracy, cost-effectiveness and efficiency.
Current Entry Requirements
Entrants to training usually possess GCSEs/ S grades. Vocational training consists either of full-time study for a BTEC/SQA National award followed by two years on-the-job training, or an apprenticeship leading to an NVQ/SVQ at Level 3.
Typical education level:Level 1-3
- Supports planning and production engineers in assessing existing and alternative production methods.
- Works from, and helps implement, professional engineers' drawings and specifications for equipment and layout, and helps implement modifications required for existing plant machinery/layout.
- Works with engineers on production control methods to monitor operational efficiency and helps to eliminate potential hazards and bottlenecks in production.
- Liaises with materials buying, storing and controlling departments to ensure a steady flow of supplies.
- Supports professional engineers in reviewing safety, quality, accuracy, reliability and contractual requirements.
- Supports implementation of plans of sequence of operations and completion dates for each phase of production or processing.
- Ensures implementation of inspection, testing and evaluation methods for bought-in materials, components, semi-finished and finished products.
- Ensures accuracy of manufacturing and testing equipment.
- Ensures effective completion and implementation of detailed instructions on processes, work methods and quality and safety standards for workers.
related to this Career