Printers set up and operate various small offset printing presses and digital printing processes.
Current Entry Requirements
There are no formal academic requirements although some employers may require GCSEs/S grades. Training is typically received on-the-job. National Traineeships and apprenticeships in Machine Printing are available at NVQ/SVQ Levels 2 and 3.
Typical education level:Level 1-3
- Positions form or plate on machine, checks alignments and sets press.
- Mixes and loads inks and solvents, loads paper and regulates during print run.
- Prints and examines proof copies and adjusts press as necessary.
- Starts or directs start of printing run and monitors machine to ensure that printing proceeds smoothly.
- Pours colour into machine or directly on to screen and positions screen over item.
- Operates squeegee by hand or machine to press colour through screen.
- Dips wooden pattern block into colour tray and lays different colours on top of, and adjacent to, others to form the required pattern.
- Produces, transfers and outputs digital print images.
- Maintains, adjusts, repairs and cleans machine.
- Keeps production records.