Product, clothing and related designers plan, direct and undertake the creation of designs for new industrial and commercial products, clothing and related fashion accessories, costumes and wigs, and for building interiors and stage sets.
Current Entry Requirements
Entrants have usually completed a foundation course, BTEC/SQA award, degree and or postgraduate qualification. NVQs/SVQs in Fashion Design and Design are available at Level 2, as are apprenticeships at Levels 2 and 3.
Typical education level:Level 4-6
- Liaises with client to determine the purpose, cost, technical specification and potential uses/users of product.
- Undertakes research to determine market trends, production requirements, availability of resources and formulates design concepts.
- Prepares sketches, designs, patterns or prototypes for textiles, clothing, footwear, jewellery, fashion accessories, set props, wigs, ceramics, plastics, motor vehicles, domestic appliances and engineering products.
- Prepares sketches, designs, mock-ups and storyboards for consideration by theatre/film director or client.
- Submits design to management, sales department or client for approval, communicates design rationale and makes any necessary alterations.
- Specifies materials, production method and finish for aesthetic or functional effect, and oversees production of sample and/or finished product.
- Observes and manages intellectual property issues.