Production and process engineers advise on and direct technical aspects of production programmes to ensure cost-effectiveness and efficiency. This unit group incorporates: planning and quality control engineers who plan production schedules, work sequences, and manufacturing and processing procedures to ensure accuracy, quality and reliability; and chemical engineers who undertake research on commercial scale chemical processes and processed products, design and provide specifications and direct the construction, operation, maintenance and repair of chemical plants and control systems.
Current Entry Requirements
Production and process engineers usually possess an accredited university degree. After qualifying, periods of appropriate training and experience are required before membership of a chartered engineering institution. Incorporated engineers possess an accredited university degree, BTEC/SQA award or an apprenticeship leading to an NVQ/SVQ at Level 4. All routes are followed by periods of appropriate training and relevant experience.
Typical education level:Level 4-6
- Studies existing and alternative production methods, regarding work flow, plant layout, types of machinery and cost.
- Recommends optimum equipment and layout and prepares drawings and specifications.
- Devises and implements production control methods to monitor operational efficiency.
- Investigates and eliminates potential hazards and bottlenecks in production.
- Advises management on and ensures effective implementation of new production methods, techniques and equipment.
- Liaises with materials buying, storing and controlling departments to ensure a steady flow of supplies.
- Undertakes research and develops processes to achieve physical and/or chemical change for oil, pharmaceutical, synthetic, plastic, food and other products.
- Designs, controls and constructs process plants to manufacture products.
related to this Career
- BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in EngineeringFTLevel 32 Years
- A Level in ChemistryFTPTLevel 32 Years
- Level 1 in Engineering and Electrical InstallationFTLevel 11 Year
- Subject AreaA Levels
- Subject AreaAS and A2 Levels
- Subject AreaElectrical Installation
- Subject AreaEngineering
- Subject AreaFoundation Learning
- Subject AreaScience
- Subject AreaVocational