Programmers and software development professionals design, develop, test, implement and maintain software systems in order to meet the specifications and business objectives of the information system; they also design and develop specialist software e.g. for computer games.
Current Entry Requirements
Entrants usually possess a degree or equivalent qualification, although entry with other academic qualifications and/or significant relevant experience is possible. There is a variety of vocational, professional and postgraduate qualifications available.
Typical education level:Level 4-6
- Examines existing software and determines requirements for new/modified systems in the light of business needs.
- Undertakes feasibility study to design software solutions.
- Writes and codes individual programs according to specifications.
- Develops user interfaces.
- Tests and corrects software programs.
- Writes code for specialist programming for computer games, (for example, artificial intelligence, 3D engine development).
- Implements and evaluates the software.
- Plans and maintains database structures.
- Writes operational documentation and provides subsequent support and training for users.
related to this Career
- HNC in ComputingPTLevel 42 Years
- Advanced Apprenticeship (Level 3) in IT ProfessionalsFTLevel 32 Years
- BTEC Level 3 in Games DevelopmentFTLevel 32 Years
- Higher National Diploma (HND) in ComputingFTLevel 52 Years
- Subject AreaApprenticeships
- Subject AreaHigher Education
- Subject AreaIT and Media Production
- Subject AreaVocational