Retail cashiers and check-out operators accept payments from customers and give change in respect of sales or services.
Current Entry Requirements
There are no minimum academic requirements although some employers may require GCSEs/S grades or relevant experience. Training is typically provided on-the-job. NVQs/SVQs in Retail Operations are available at Levels 1 and 2.
Typical education level:Level 1-3
- Records cost of each item on cash register or by use of bar code reader and totals the amount to be paid.
- Receives cash, cheque or debit or credit card payment, checks validity of form of payment, gives change and issues receipts for purchase.
- Debits customers' account in respect of purchases or services.
- Monitors fuel taken by self-service customers or refuels vehicle if required.
- Maintains transaction records as requested.
related to this Career
- Advanced Apprenticeship (Level 3) in Customer ServiceFTLevel 318 - 24 Months
- Intermediate Apprenticeship (Level 2) in Customer ServiceFTLevel 212 - 18 Months
- Intermediate Apprenticeship (Level 2) in SalesFTLevel 212 - 18 Months
- Subject AreaApprenticeships
- Subject AreaBusiness
- Subject AreaVocational