Secondary (and middle school deemed secondary) education teaching professionals plan, organise and provide instruction in one or more subjects, including physical education and diversionary activities, within a prescribed curriculum in a secondary or secondary/ middle school.
Current Entry Requirements
Entry is with a first degree that provides QTS (qualified teacher status) or, in Scotland, TQ (teaching qualification); or other relevant degree followed by further postgraduate training (most commonly PGCE – Postgraduate Certificate in Secondary Education, or, in Scotland, PGDE – Professional Graduate Diploma in Education). Further and higher professional qualifications are required for some teaching posts.
Typical education level:Level 7-8
- Prepares and delivers courses and lessons in accordance with curriculum requirements and teaches one or more subjects.
- Prepares, assigns and corrects exercises and examinations to record and evaluate students.
- Prepares students for external examinations and administers and invigilates these examinations.
- Maintains records of students' progress and development.
- Supervises any practical work and maintains classroom discipline.
- Undertakes pastoral duties.
- Supervises teaching assistants and trainees.
- Discusses progress with student, parents and/or other education professionals.
- Assists with or plans and develops curriculum and rota of teaching duties.