Shopkeepers and proprietors in this unit group co-ordinate, direct and undertake the activities in the running of small, independent retail and wholesale establishments.
Current Entry Requirements
There are no formal academic entry requirements. A range of management and leadership courses in retail is available, in addition to NVQs/ SVQs in at Levels 2, 3 and 4.
Typical education level:Level 1-3
- Defines the market position for the business, decides what to sell, forecasts demand and develops the brand image of the business.
- Determines staffing, financial, material and other short- and long-term requirements.
- Oversees staff training, rotas and the allocation of work.
- Provides information about merchandise to staff and customers and ensures customer complaints are appropriately dealt with.
- Ensures that adequate reserves of merchandise are held and orders new stock as required.
- Maintains financial and other shop records and controls security arrangements for the premises.
- Authorises payment for supplies received and decides on vending price and credit terms.
- Examines quality of merchandise and ensures that effective use is made of advertising and display facilities.
related to this Career