Special needs education teaching professionals organise and provide instruction at a variety of different levels to children who have emotional, behavioural or learning difficulties or physical disabilities. These professionals may also work with exceptionally gifted pupils.
Current Entry Requirements
Entry is with a first degree that provides QTS (qualified teacher status) or, in Scotland, TQ (teaching qualification); or other relevant degree followed by further postgraduate training (most commonly PGCE – Postgraduate Certificate in Secondary Education, or, in Scotland, PGDE – Professional Graduate Diploma in Education). Additionally, prior experience in mainstream teaching is usually required, and further training for special needs teaching may be mandatory.
Typical education level:Level 4-6
related to this Career
- Intermediate Apprenticeship (Level 2) in Children and Young People's WorkforceFTLevel 212 - 18 Months
- Diploma in Education and TrainingPTLevel 52 Years
- Level 3 Award in Education and TrainingPTLevel 316 - 20 Weeks
- Subject AreaApprenticeships
- Subject AreaChildcare
- Subject AreaHealth and Social Care
- Subject AreaHigher Education
- Subject AreaTeacher Training
- Subject AreaVocational