Van drivers collect, transport and deliver goods in vehicles up to 7.5 tonnes in weight.
Current Entry Requirements
There are no formal academic entry requirements. Entrants must possess a clean car driving licence. In order to drive vehicles between 3.5 and 7.5 tonnes, entrants must pass an additional test for a category C1 licence. Minimum age restrictions apply according to the weight of vehicle and whether the driver holds a Driver CPC (Certificate of Professional Competence). NVQs/SVQs in relevant areas and at various levels are available.
Typical education level:Level 1-3
- Checks tyres, brakes, lights, oil, water and fuel levels and general condition of the vehicle.
- Drives vehicle from depot to loading/unloading point.
- Assists with loading/unloading and obtains receipts from customers for goods collected/delivered.
- Drives vehicle to destination in accordance with schedule.
- Maintains records of journey times, mileage and hours worked.
- Undertakes minor repairs and notifies supervisor of any mechanical faults.