Job holders in this unit group construct and repair the bodies of road vehicles, and fit interior and exterior fittings to vehicle bodies.
Current Entry Requirements
There are no formal academic entry requirements although some employers may require GCSEs/S grades or an equivalent qualification. Apprenticeships at NVQ/SVQ Levels 2 and 3 are also available and take between three to four years to complete. Off- and on-the-job training is provided. NVQs/SVQs at Levels 2 and 3 are available.
Typical education level:Level 1-3
- Diagnoses job requirements or ascertains work specifications from drawings or instructions.
- Selects, cuts, shapes and assembles materials to form parts of vehicle underframe, framework and body.
- Repairs damage to chassis and engine mountings using hydraulic rams, jacks and jigs.
- Hammers out dents in bodywork, fills in small depressions or corroded areas in solder, plastic or other filler compound and replaces body panels using hand and power tools.
- Installs and repairs interior fittings including seats, seatbelts and fascia in cars, sinks and special features in caravans and mobile shops.
- Positions, secures and repairs external fittings including windows, doors, door handles, catches and roof attachments.
related to this Career