Update for our Higher Education Students
Loughborough College Undergraduate Centre
Campus reopening 2020/21 - Update for students
Please note: This update is aimed at our Higher Education Degree level students returning or joining us from September 2021. We will provide further updates for our learners on Further Education and Apprenticeship courses over the coming weeks when we are able to do so.
Over recent months we have been busy preparing our campus and our programmes for the safe return of students on our degree programmes in September and are able to provide more information for students either returning or joining us at Loughborough for the first time.
Teaching and learning
- Our campus will be open. You should therefore make plans to come to College to undertake your studies in the September, unless the Government advice alters and we notify you otherwise.
- We will deliver teaching in person, where we know we can do it safely, and provide additional learning online where required through a combination of real-time interactive sessions and materials that you can study in your own time.
- It is likely that initially some, if not most, large lectures and some larger classes will have to be delivered online to ensure we comply with Government social distancing requirements. We will be ready to respond as guidance changes.
- Any lectures that are delivered online will be accompanied by the opportunity for you to ask questions and interact with staff.
- Smaller group teaching will take place face-to-face on campus. Every student will have in-person tuition and access to facilities where we can offer this safely.
- Your timetable will include similar numbers of scheduled sessions as in previous years to provide you with structure during the working day.
- We will provide guidance to ensure you are able to maximise your learning from all the teaching modes we will be offering, for example, labs, seminars, tutorials and lectures, alongside any enhanced online interaction.
- Learning facilities, such as the Library and the HE study space will open, with appropriate social distancing and safety measures in place as soon as it is safe to do so.
- The College’s halls (The Gables) accommodation will be open. If for any reason lockdown measures are re-introduced, you will not be charged for your College accommodation for any weeks that you have to return home while the lockdown is in place.
- If any students need to self-isolate, we will make sure that appropriate facilities and support are available for them.
- Students will still have access to a range of support services, including mental health and wellbeing and learning support, both on campus or online as required.
- All students will also have access to an Academic Tutor to support them in developing the key academic and study skills required to study at Undergraduate level, including those needed to be a successful online learner.
- We will continue to offer our range of library resources online and will be expanding these further.
Health and Safety
- We have already completed an enormous amount of work to ensure the safety of our staff and students.
- We have introduced a range of new measures including temperature checking, social distancing in classrooms, lecture theatres and social spaces, enhanced cleaning and the design of our curriculum and timetables.
- We continue to evaluate additional measures as Government advice changes and commit to making the campus as safe as possible.
- Our approach is to be thorough and balanced. We will reopen in a way that takes account of the UK Government Alert Level at the time. The lower the level, the fewer adjustments will be in place.