This course is for those wanting a career in the uniformed public services, including the Police, Army, Navy, Royal Marines, or Fire and Rescue Services. This course is the equivalent of four GCSEs at grade C or above and can act as a progression route to Level 3 courses and then to Higher Education.
You will study a range of units from the following:
- Public Service Skills
- Employment in the Uniformed Public Services
- Career Planning in the Public Services
- Improving Health and Fitness for Entry into the Public Services
- Adventurous Activities
- Expedition and Land Navigation
- Map and Compass Skills
You will be assessed through a range of practical activities, projects, short tasks, and presentations, as well as written, work-based assignments to test your knowledge, skills, and understanding.
- have the opportunity to work towards achieving Functional Skills in English and Maths, Edexcel Work Skills, the NCFE Award in Exploring in Enterprise, and the Junior Sports Leaders Award, as well as various opportunities for volunteering
- have opportunities to visit a variety of public service organisations and gain knowledge of the industry from guest speakers
- have plenty of chances to take part in team building activities
- At least four GCSEs at grade D, including English and Maths.
- A satisfactory enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check is required for courses involving work placement and will be required before going into employment.
Successful completion of this course will enhance your chance of progressing on to the BTEC Level 3 Diploma in Public Services at Loughborough College. The direction you choose could be towards a uniformed or non-uniformed public service career.
This course can also act as a stepping stone to a range of careers not necessarily related to the public services, such as in the sport or business sectors.
Whilst every effort is made to ensure that the information contained on this website is correct, the College accepts no liability for any errors or omissions. Please note that details are subject to change without notice with regard to the provision of courses, course times and dates and the fees and charges levied.
Find out more
at an Open Day
It's great to read about a college and what it has to offer but there's really no substitute for experiencing it at an Open Day.
At our Open Days, our expert staff are on hand to tell you about our courses and what careers they lead to.
They'll also guide you through our application process, explain the different kinds of support available, and talk to you about the huge variety of enrichment activities that you can be part of.
With opportunities to talk to our current students, as well as take part in tours of our campus and halls of residence, an Open Day really is the best way to get a feel for what it's like to be a Loughborough College student.