This award helps new teachers, tutors and trainers to develop the skills and understanding required for teaching and training in the Further and Higher Education sector in England. It leads towards further teaching qualifications for either an Associate Teacher Learning and Skills Status (ATLS) or Qualified Teacher Learning and Skills Status (QTLS).
This award has been designed as an introductory qualification for people aiming to teach, tutor or train in the Further Education Lifelong Learning Sector. This includes those wishing to work in adult and community learning, work-based learning, as well as teach in Further Education colleges.
- Understand the role, responsibilities and boundaries in relation to teaching/training
- Understand the importance of embedding Functional Skills within lessons
- Demonstrate session planning skills and how to create a scheme of work
- Understand how to deliver inclusive sessions which motivate students
- Understand the use of different assessment methods and the need for record keeping
There are three mandatory units based on theory and practice of eduaction and training.
- A National Vocational Qualification (NVQ) at Level 3 or equivalent in your subject area and/or significant relevant work experience is desirable
- A Level 2 or equivalent Literacy qualification (i.e. Adult Literacy Level 2, CSE Grade 1, GCSE minimum grade C or an O-Level) is desirable
Candidates do not need to have any teaching hours at this stage to achieve this qualification.
This unit can be carried forward into the: