International Freight Forwarding Specialists are employed to ensure that the company they work for, and their clients remain compliant with all applicable customs, import and export laws and regulations. They understand customs rules, regulations and terms of trade, know where to find information and when to escalate issues. They have specific skills around customs procedures, classification of goods, allocating modes of transport and all relevant paper and electronic documentation.
International Freight Forwarding Specialists are responsible for a variety of
tasks on a daily basis such as shipment bookings, creating the appropriate
documents, liaison with carriers, ports and handling agents, transport
requirements, sales quotations, invoicing, financial procedures as well as the
many customs processes and regimes they will come across. Clients must be kept
informed pro-actively of progress and this requires skills and behaviours in
customer service linked to an appreciation of international cultures, time zones
and their effect on transit times. International Freight Forwarding Specialists
have the ability to communicate effectively with people from different
countries, taking account of differences in working
- Rated outstanding for apprenticeships in our June 2017 ofsted inspection
Who is this Apprenticeship for?
International Freight Forwarding Specialists are responsible for a variety of tasks on a daily basis such as shipment bookings, creating the appropriate documents, liaison with carriers, ports and handling agents, transport requirements, sales quotations, invoicing, financial procedures as well as the many customs processes and regimes they will come across.
- The commercial basis for the consolidation of goods being moved across the world and the purpose, function, structure and organisation of the freight forwarding industry
- World geography, political boundaries, time zones and travel times
- The principles underpinning the regulatory systems that apply to freight forwarding and the import and export of goods and the function of the key regulatory organisations
- The terms of international sales (Incoterms)
- International freight documentation and cargo booking procedures
- The range and characteristics of road, ocean, and air transport and the determinants of their use in freight forwarding
- The role of freight forwarders in the selection of modes of transport as goods are moved around the world
- The importance of marine insurance and carrier’s liability
- The classifications of hazardous goods and the restrictions applied to their movement
- The use of documentary letters of credit to reduce financial risk in international trade
- The differences in how goods are moved under the different customs controls that apply in the UK, the EU and internationally and the purpose, function and range of Customs Procedure Codes
Qualifications included in the Apprenticeship:
- Level 3 Apprenticeship Standard in International Freight Forwarding Specialist
- Level 2 Functional Skills English and Maths (if
Regular formative reviews between employer, apprentice and the college
Development of assignments demonstrating learning from their job role or work place
Practical observation to assess the application of skills within the workplace
Professional discussion to holistically assess Knowledge Skills and Behaviours across the standard and will be informed by reflective portfolio
Written knowledge test
English & Maths
If an Apprentice has not already achieved Level 2 (GCSE C/4 or above) English & Maths they must study for and achieve Functional Skills Level 2 English & Maths.
This will be completed through a day release to attend Loughborough
Work based training and assessments to complement the skills that are learnt, developed and used within the workplace
Day release to complete Functional Skills if required
Average duration is 18 months which includes an End Point Assessment
Levy payers pay 100% of training costs via Levy.
Non Levy employers with 50+ staff or for an Apprentice aged 19+ - pay 5% of training costs.
Non Levy Employers with less than 50 staff and an Apprentice aged 18 or younger, fully funded.
Get in touch
Speak to one of our business development experts about how we can help you to grow your business.
Call: 01509 515461
Whilst every effort is made to ensure that the information contained on this website is correct, the College accepts no liability for any errors or omissions. Please note that details are subject to change without notice with regard to the provision of courses, course times and dates and the fees and charges levied.