A laboratory technician may carry out both routine and one-off laboratory testing and perform a variety of technical support functions across the organisation. In any context working safely and ethically is paramount and many companies operate under highly regulated conditions because of the need to control the quality and safety of products, for example medicines.
Laboratory technicians are expected to work both individually and as part of
a laboratory team. They are able to work with minimum supervision, taking
responsibility for the quality and accuracy of the work that is undertaken. They
are proactive in finding solutions to problems and identifying areas for
improving the business.
- Rated outstanding for apprenticeships in our June 2017 ofsted inspection
Who is this Apprenticeship for?
Existing employees working within a Life Sciences and/or Industrial Science profession who have hands on experience but desire a Laboratory Technician qualification for further development or for new entrants into the sector.
- Science Fundamentals
- Understand Regulatory Environment
- Product Testing Techniques
- Control of Hazards in the Laboratory
- Laboratory Techniques
- Quality Procedures
- Data Protection
- Analysis, interpretation and evaluation of data
Qualifications included in the Apprenticeship:
- Level 3 Laboratory Technician Apprenticeship
- Level 3 OCR Cambridge Technical Extended Certificate in Laboratory Skills
- Level 2 Functional Skills English and maths (if
- Regular formative reviews between employer, apprentice and the college
- Development of assignments demonstrating learning from their job role or work place
- Practical observation to assess the application of skills within the workplace
- Professional discussion to holistically assess Knowledge Skills and Behaviours across the standard and will be informed by reflective portfolio
- Review of behaviours evaluation log
- Synoptic assessment test
- Scenario case study
Five GCSEs at Grade 4(C) or above including English, Maths and Science.
English & Maths
If an Apprentice has not already achieved Level 2 (GCSE C/4 or above) English & Maths they must study for and achieve Functional Skills Level 2 English & Maths.
This will be completed through a day release to attend Loughborough
Work based training and assessments to complement the skills that are learnt, developed and used within the workplace
College based training currently one day per week day (term time only)
Day release to complete Functional Skills if required
Average duration is 24 months which includes an End Point Assessment
Levy payers pay 100% of training costs via Levy.
Non Levy employers with 50+ staff or for an Apprentice aged 19+ - pay 5% of training costs.
Non Levy Employers with less than 50 staff and an Apprentice aged 18 or younger, fully funded.
Get in touch
Speak to one of our business development experts about how we can help you to grow your business.
Call: 01509 515461
Whilst every effort is made to ensure that the information contained on this website is correct, the College accepts no liability for any errors or omissions. Please note that details are subject to change without notice with regard to the provision of courses, course times and dates and the fees and charges levied.