Bus and coach drivers drive road passenger-carrying vehicles such as buses, coaches and mini-buses.
Current Entry Requirements
There are no formal academic entry requirements, though candidates must be in possession of a full car driving licence. All bus and coach drivers must pass the Passenger Carrying Vehicle (PCV) test. This incorporates a theoretical examination and assessed driving. Entrants to the PCV test must be at least 18 years old. NVQs/SVQs in Transporting Passengers by Road are available at Levels 2 and 3.
Typical education level:Level 1-3
- Checks tyres, brakes, lights, oil, water and fuel levels and general condition of the vehicle before start of journey.
- Drives single- and double-decked vehicle over pre-determined route, complying with traffic regulations and keeping to time schedule.
- Stops and opens and closes doors at pre-arranged places to allow passengers to board and alight, observing regulations concerning the number of passengers carried.
- May collect fares from passengers and issue tickets or ensure that they use a ticket machine.
- May plan routes in conjunction with private hirer and assist with loading and unloading of luggage.
- Balances cash taken with tickets sold and may be responsible for cleanliness of vehicle.
- Maintains records of journey times, mileage and hours worked.
related to this Career