Loughborough College’s exciting plans to build a new Digital Skills Hub to boost the skills of local people has received initial funding approval from the Loughborough Town Deal.
The Digital Skills Hub project submitted a bid for £2.3 million as part of the Loughborough Town Deal which has been offered £16.9 million by the Government to invest in projects designed to regenerate Loughborough.
As well as boosting skills, the Hub will also work with employers to deliver a greater breadth of work placement opportunities and better support regional industry.
The Loughborough Town Deal Board has approved 11 projects, including the Digital Skills Hub, which will be submitted to the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government and final approvals are expected over the next 12 months.
Jo Maher, Principal & CEO of Loughborough College, said: “We are delighted that the Loughborough Town Deal Board has selected our proposed Digital Skills Hub as one of the 11 regeneration projects for Loughborough.
“We are so proud to be in a position to provide quality teaching and facilities which will level-up the skills of our communities and ensure the local and regional economy has the local workforce needed to support Industry 4.0.
“The Digital Skills Hub would be a key part of our strategic plan to deliver those skills and we’re very excited at the prospect of getting this project underway.”
The Digital Skills Hub will also aim to deliver:
- T-Levels, Apprenticeships and Kickstart job placements to skill-up local people as Loughborough moves into a more digitally focussed future
- Target unemployed and semi-skilled adults to support them into employment
- Equip the next generation with the skills and knowledge to improve social mobility, human capital and economic success
- Provide support to businesses post-COVID-19.
- Reduce the need for local people to travel to access skills therefore contributing to our commitment to clean growth and carbon reductions in Loughborough.
If the project receives the Government green light, it will be the second Loughborough Town Deal project delivered by the College following the successful launch of the Careers & Enterprise Hub in partnership with Loughborough University and Charnwood Borough Council.