This course is designed to provide you with a wide range of knowledge and skills needed for a career in the public services.
The Level 1 course is aimed at students who are seeking a broad academic and practical qualification, delivered in an adult environment. Not only is this course unique, interesting, and challenging; it also offers additional units which, when combined with the main qualification, further enhance your goal of succeeding in your chosen career.
The course consists of a range of units, split over two semesters. Units include:
All units are assessed by portfolio and are externally moderated; some assessment is practical.
- Guest speakers from a range of public services, including the Fire Service, Royal Marines, Royal Navy, RAF, Armed Forces, and Prison Service, come to College to talk to you about living and working in these professions.
- You may take part in residential visits to public service bodies such as the Armed Forces, Police Headquarters, the Fire Service, or a prison.
- Outdoor activities include short expeditions, which are designed to enable you to work as part of a team and build self-confidence.
- Two GCSEs at grade G or above and a successful interview.
- You must be motivated and able to take some responsibility for your own learning, as well as have a good record of school attendance.
- All students will be expected to demonstrate a commitment to a career in a public service.
If you are successful, you may progress on to the BTEC Level 2 Diploma in Public Services at Loughborough College.
Whilst every effort is made to ensure that the information contained on this website is correct, the College accepts no liability for any errors or omissions. Please note that details are subject to change without notice with regard to the provision of courses, course times and dates and the fees and charges levied.
Find out more
at an Open Day
It's great to read about a college and what it has to offer but there's really no substitute for experiencing it at an Open Day.
At our Open Days, our expert staff are on hand to tell you about our courses and what careers they lead to.
They'll also guide you through our application process, explain the different kinds of support available, and talk to you about the huge variety of enrichment activities that you can be part of.
With opportunities to talk to our current students, as well as take part in tours of our campus and halls of residence, an Open Day really is the best way to get a feel for what it's like to be a Loughborough College student.