Police officers (Sergeant and below) co-ordinate and undertake the investigation of crimes, patrol public areas, arrest offenders and suspects and enforce law and order. Officers of the British Transport Police operate within the specialised police service for the railway network across Britain.
Current Entry Requirements
There are no academic requirements for entry to the civilian (Home Office) police although eligibility criteria vary across individual police forces. Entrants must sit an entry test and pass a medical examination. All police officers undergo a two year probationary training period. Residency, nationality and age restrictions apply, and background security checks are carried out in respect of entrants.
Typical education level:Level 1-3
- Receives instructions from senior officers and patrols an assigned area on foot, horseback, motorcycle, motor car or boat to check security and enforce regulations.
- Directs and controls traffic or crowds at demonstrations and large public events.
- Investigates complaints, crimes, accidents, any suspicious activities or other incidents.
- Interviews suspects, takes statements from witnesses and stops, searches and/or arrests suspects.
- Attends accidents.
- Prepares briefs or reports for senior officers.
- Works on station reception desk and or in communications room.
- Gives evidence in court cases.
related to this Career