Cooks prepare, season and cook food, often using pre-prepared ingredients, in clubs, private households, fast food outlets, shops selling food cooked on the premises and the catering departments and canteens of other establishments.
Current Entry Requirements
There are no formal academic requirements. Training is provided off- and on-the-job. NVQs/ SVQs in Food Preparation and Cooking are available at Levels 1, 2 and 3. Apprenticeships leading to an NVQ/SVQ at Level 3 are also available.
Typical education level:Level 1-3
related to this Career
- City and Guilds Level 2 Diploma in Culinary Skills (Larder) or Culinary Skills (Pattisserie)FTLevel 21 Year
- City and Guilds Level 1 Certificate in Culinary and Restaurant SkillsFTLevel 11 Year
- Advanced Apprenticeship (Level 3) in Hospitality and CateringFTLevel 318 - 24 Months
- Subject AreaApprenticeships
- Subject AreaFoundation Learning
- Subject AreaHospitality and Catering
- Subject AreaVocational