Ambulance staff transport sick, injured and convalescent persons and give first aid treatment in emergencies.
Current Entry Requirements
Academic qualifications are not normally required. Entry requirements vary between ambulance services. Entrants must normally have possessed a full clean driving licence for one to two years and have health clearance. Entrants undertake a minimum of 2 weeks training in first aid and patient care. Successful trainees are then attached to an ambulance station where they work under the guidance of a trained supervisor for a probationary period before working unsupervised.
Typical education level:Level 1-3
- Helps patients into and out of ambulance.
- Drives ambulance or accompanies driver to transport patients to hospitals or other treatment centres and homes.
- Ascertains nature of injuries and provides first aid treatment.
- Cleans and disinfects ambulance after use and carries out routine care of ambulance equipment.
- Replenishes medical supplies in ambulance as necessary.
related to this Career