The School Sport Apprenticeship is an alternative route into a career in education, sports development, sports management and coaching. The students spend a year working in a school (Primary, Secondary or Special) alongside qualified teachers and coaches delivering PE and School Sport activities.
Students complete five qualifications as part of the Advanced Apprenticeship with Loughborough College:
- Level 3 Diploma in Supporting the Delivery of PE and School Sport
- Level 3 Employment Awareness in Active Leisure Learning
- First Aid (Additional to the Framework)
- Safeguarding (Additional to the Framework)
- Level 1 Coaching Certificate (sport TBC each year) (Additional to the Framework)
Other complimentary training and qualifications will be delivered by the host school in line with their staff development programme. (Any students without a Grade C or Level 2 Functional Skills in Maths and English will also compete the Functional Skills as part of the course).
Features and Benefits
The qualifications are delivered through an intense summer training scheme and are followed up by contact days throughout the school year. Learners complete online workbooks for each of the modules and complete progress reviews with their college tutors every 6 to 7 weeks.
At the end of the apprenticeship we aim to have upskilled all learners to be ready to take their next career step and make them as employable as possible. Each apprentice is different and will have different priorities in regards to their progression routes; and students may wish to continue in education or move into employment. Although it is not a requirement for host schools to offer a job at the end of the apprenticeship, many schools have offered apprentices full and part time jobs following their year as a School Sport Apprentice due to the impact of that individual with regards to PE and School Sport.
- Course is aimed at learners completing their studies at Post 16 or FE
- Minimum of a Level 2 PE or Sport related qualification (e.g. GCSE PE, BTEC in Sport)
- Experience delivering sporting activities to children and young people
- English and Maths GCSE (Grade C or above) or Functional Skills Level 2
Other desirable elements:
- Sports Leadership training
- NGB Level 1 coaching award (any sport)
Example exit routes for previous apprentices are as follows:
- PE/Sports Coach (in schools or community organisations)
- Teaching Assistant
- PE Technician
- Foundation Degree at Loughborough College
- University application