Due to unprecedented demand we have taken the decision to pause further applications to A Levels starting this September. Please contact our student recruitment team (01509 618375) for information and guidance on alternative programmes that can lead to either employment or university.
28th July 2020Contact Student Recruitment
Year 1 will address:
- What is business?
- Managers, leadership and decision making
- Decision making to improve marketing performance
- Decision making to improve operational performance
- Decision making to improve financial performance
- Decision making to improve human resource performance
Year 2 units (also drawing on AS knowledge) will address:
- Analysing the strategic position of a business (A Level only)
- Choosing strategic direction (A Level only)
- Strategic methods: how to pursue strategies (A Level only)
- Managing strategic change (A Level only)
You will gain a number of key skills from this course, including problem solving and a developed critical understanding of the internal functions of a business, a range of stakeholder perspectives, and the major topical issues that can generate change for a business.
In the second year of business we visit another country to check out their economy and how their businesses run.
- GCSE English Language at grade 4 and GCSE Maths at grade 6
- A previous study of business is not a requirement; however, you should have an interest in business and be prepared to use a variety of communicative skills.
- All Loughborough Sixth Form College courses have minimum entry requirements of at least five GCSEs at grade C/4 or above, including English Language and Maths.
AS: Two 1hr30 exams (50% each)
A Level: Three 2-hour exams (33.3% each)
A Level Business Studies will give you the skills and knowledge that you need to progress into Higher Education. It is well regarded by both universities and employers; with opportunities in a variety of organisations, including companies or management consultancies.
Upon completion of this course, you will be prepared for further study at university or be ready for the world of work. There isn't any job that does not require some form of business knowledge, so the world is your oyster.
CAN YOU STUDY BUSINESS AND ECONOMICS?
- Yes you can. Business and economics complement each other well.
6th Form FAQs
DO YOU OFFER THE EXTENDED PROJECT QUALIFICATION (EPQ)?
- Yes, but only to Year 2 students who have demonstrated in Year 1 that they have the academic ability to cope with this extra research project.
HOW MANY A LEVEL SUBJECTS DO I NEED TO TAKE?
- You will need to choose three subjects minimum with a maximum of 4. See page 5 for more details on subject choices.
I’M INTERESTED IN A LEVELS BUT I’M NOT SURE WHICH ONES
- That’s okay! We know that deciding on A Levels can be a long process and
that you can change your mind—a lot.
When you initially apply, we’ll ask you for your options, but you’re not tied down to these subjects. We’ll confirm your final choices at a later date.
DO I HAVE TO STUDY THE SUBJECT I WANT TO STUDY AT UNIVERSITY AS AN A LEVEL?
- Not always; it depends on your chosen university course. Subjects like Medicine and Architecture have very specific entry requirements, whereas you can study Psychology or Law at university without having studied them at A Level. Check university entry requirements to see if they are asking for specific subjects.
ARE A LEVELS THE ONLY ROUTE INTO UNIVERSITY?
- No. We also offer Level 3 BTEC Extended Diplomas, which are the equivalent to three A Levels and many universities accept them as an alternative.
CAN I STUDY 3 A LEVELS AND BE A PART OF THE ACADEMY OF SPORT PROGRAMME?
- Yes. Visit the Academy of Sport pages for more information.
CAN I STUDY A DIPLOMA IN SPORT AND ONE A LEVEL?
- Yes, but it is only recommended for high-performing students due to the demands that both courses will place on timetable and ability. We will need to ensure that your combination is suitable for future progression and doesn’t clash on the timetable.
Whilst every effort is made to ensure that the information contained on this website is correct, the College accepts no liability for any errors or omissions. Please note that details are subject to change without notice with regard to the provision of courses, course times and dates and the fees and charges levied.