Retail and wholesale managers and directors plan, organise, direct and co-ordinate the operations of major retail and wholesale establishments in order to maximise business performance and meet financial goals.
Current Entry Requirements
Entry requirements vary from company to company. Entrants may possess GCSEs/S grades, A levels/H grades, GNVQs/GSVQs, a BTEC/SQA award, a degree or equivalent qualification. Entry is also possible through promotion after gaining sufficient experience. NVQs/SVQs in Retail Operations are available at Level 4.
Typical education level:Level 1-3
- Appoints staff, assigns tasks and monitors and reviews staff performance.
- Liaises with other staff to provide information about merchandise, special promotions etc. to customers.
- Ensures that adequate reserves of merchandise are held and that stock keeping is carried out efficiently.
- Ensures customer complaints and queries regarding sales and service are appropriately handled.
- Oversees the maintenance of financial and other records and controls security arrangements for the premises.
- Authorises payment for supplies received and decides on vending price, discount rates and credit terms.
- Examines quality of merchandise and ensures that effective use is made of advertising and display facilities.
related to this Career
- Foundation Degree in Business and ManagementFTLevel 52 Years
- Intermediate Apprenticeship (Level 2) in SalesFTLevel 212 - 18 Months
- Level 2 Certificate in Team LeadingLevel 26 - 10 Weeks
- BA (Hons) in Leadership and Management (Top Up Degree)FTPTLevel 61 Year
- Subject AreaApprenticeships
- Subject AreaBusiness
- Subject AreaHigher Education
- Subject AreaLeadership and Management
- Subject AreaVocational