Artists create artistic works using appropriate techniques, materials and media; design artwork and illustrations; and restore damaged pieces of art.
Current Entry Requirements
No specific academic qualifications are required although a variety of vocational qualifications, degrees and postgraduate courses are available. Entry can be based upon portfolio work.
Typical education level:Level 4-6
- Conceives and develops ideas and ways of working for artistic composition.
- Selects appropriate materials, medium and method.
- Prepares sketches, scale drawings or colour schemes.
- Builds up composition into finished work by carving, sculpting, etching, painting, engraving, drawing, etc.
- Approaches managers of galleries and exhibitions in order to get finished work displayed.
- Uses artistic skills to restore damaged artworks.
- Liaises with writers and publishers to produce book illustrations.
- Markets and sells finished work directly to customers.
- Produces works on commission basis for clients.