Graphic designers use illustrative, sound, visual and multimedia techniques to convey a message for information, entertainment, advertising, promotion or publicity purposes, and create special visual effects and animations for computer games, film, interactive and other media.
Current Entry Requirements
Entrants have usually completed a foundation course, a BTEC/SQA award, a degree and/or postgraduate qualification. NVQs/SVQs in Design (in various disciplines) are available at Levels 2 and 3. Portfolio work is also important for entry.
Typical education level:Level 4-6
- Liaises with client to clarify aims of project brief, discusses media, software and technology to be used, establishes timetable for project and defines budgetary constraints.
- Undertakes research into project, considers previous related projects and compares costs of using different processes.
- Prepares sketches, scale drawings, models, colour schemes and other mock-ups to show clients and discusses any required alterations.
- Prepares specification and instructions for realisation of the project.
- Liaises with other parts of the production team to ensure graphic design fits with other elements, processes and timescales.
- Produces or oversees creation of the final product.