Aimed at those wishing to pursue a career in sport and recreation, outdoors, in sports development, or at an assistant instructor level, this qualification provides excellent foundations for progressing directly into the workplace.
The practical work includes coaching in local colleges and schools, as well as at out-of school clubs and leisure centres. On top of coaching, you will complete a work placement within Loughborough College’s sports provision.
The course consists of practical work and theory-based units, which include:
- Preparing Sessions
- Leading Sessions
- Concluding and Reviewing Sessions
- Contributing to Work in a Team
- Promoting Safety in Sport
- Working with Other Organisations
- Encouraging Disabled Participation in Sport
- Opportunity to complete Level 1 CYQ gym qualification, First Aid and Sport Activator courses
The practical work includes coaching in local colleges and schools, as well as at out-of-school clubs and leisure centres. On top of coaching, you will complete a work placement within Loughborough College’s sports provision.
The course is continually assessed, with the final assessment being based on portfolio work and practical observations.
Throughout your studies, you will have the opportunity to complete extra qualifications in first aid and sports leadership. There are also a range of trips and team-building activities included throughout the course.
- Four GCSEs at grade D/3 or above, one being in English or
- a BTEC/OCR Level 2 Diploma (or equivalent) at pass level.
- Mature students will be considered based on their previous qualifications and/or relevant work experience.
On completion, you may choose to work in a variety of sports environments and industries, including at leisure centres as a sports leader, as a sports coach, or as an assistant or member of recreation staff. You may also work at a sports club or school as an assistant coach.
You are also able to progress on to other courses, such as a Level 3 Diploma in Coaching and Supporting School Sport PE or the BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma in Sport.
Whilst every effort is made to ensure that the information contained on this website is correct, the College accepts no liability for any errors or omissions. Please note that details are subject to change without notice with regard to the provision of courses, course times and dates and the fees and charges levied.