The Advanced Technical Diploma Level 3 for Professional Chefs qualification is for learners who are over 16 and wish to gain employment in the hospitality sector as a professional chef, responsible for developing and producing dishes and desserts, and have some previous of experience of preparing and cooking a wide range of commodities. This could be through previous industry experience or through completion of a qualification such as Level 2 Professional Chef/Culinary Skills.
There are two pathways to choose from when studying this professional chef course:
- Level 3 Culinary Skills (Larder); or
- Level 3Culinary Skills (Pattisserie)
The Advanced Technical Diploma will help you learn advanced skills and techniques in producing larder dishes and pastry products, preparing you to undertake a variety of roles within a kitchen, whether in the larder or the pastry section.
Topics covered include:
- the principles of food safety supervision for catering
- exploring gastronomy
- advanced skills and techniques in producing vegetable and vegetarian dishes
- advanced skills and techniques in producing meat dishes
- advanced skills and techniques in poultry and game dishes
- advanced skills and techniques in producing fish and shellfish dishes
- advanced skills and techniques in producing paste products
- advanced skills and techniques in producing hot, cold, and frozen desserts
- advanced skills and techniques in producing cakes and sponges
It will consist of theoretical, academic study, practical kitchen skills, and experience in a real working restaurant.
Your course will be a mixture of written and research-based tasks, menu costings, case study reviews, practical cooking sessions, and working in our own award-winning restaurant.
Depending on your age, course fees may be waived. Contact Student Recruitment for up-to-date information. An additional fee of £80 applies to this course to cover trips and materials.
- Level 2 Professional Chef/Culinary Skills, plus GCSE English or Maths at grade C/4 or above.
The Diploma is designed to prepare you to enter employment opportunities in roles for chefs in both the UK and overseas or gain access to Higher Education.
Whilst every effort is made to ensure that the information contained on this website is correct, the College accepts no liability for any errors or omissions. Please note that details are subject to change without notice with regard to the provision of courses, course times and dates and the fees and charges levied.
Find out more
at an Open Day
It's great to read about a college and what it has to offer but there's really no substitute for experiencing it at an Open Day.
At our Open Days, our expert staff are on hand to tell you about our courses and what careers they lead to.
They'll also guide you through our application process, explain the different kinds of support available, and talk to you about the huge variety of enrichment activities that you can be part of.
With opportunities to talk to our current students, as well as take part in tours of our campus and halls of residence, an Open Day really is the best way to get a feel for what it's like to be a Loughborough College student.