This course is for exercise professionals who are looking to develop their knowledge of safe and effective exercise programming for clients with respiratory disease.
This distance learning course aims to provide candidates with the knowledge and skills required to design, agree and adapt a physical activity programme for adults with chronic respiratory disease.
- The causes and management of breathlessness client safety, contraindications to exercise and reasons for stopping exercise
- How different body systems change with age and the considerations for exercise programming for individuals with chronic respiratory disease and additional clinical conditions
- How to design and agree review and adapt a physical activity programme for clients with chronic respiratory disease
By the end of the course candidates will have an understanding of:
- The respiratory system, components of respiration, and common respiratory conditions
- Medications and delivery devices used in the treatment of chronic respiratory disease
- The physiological responses to exercise for this client group and the pulmonary rehabilitation assessment process
- Pulmonary rehabilitation and the principles of exercise programming for individuals with chronic respiratory disease participating in community based sessions
- A written exam paper comprising multiple choice, short and long answer questions: This will be of 90 mins duration and will be based on sections of the course manual.
- A written case study based on a patient you have observed in pulmonary rehabilitation including prescription of a programme for this patient if they were to be referred to you in the community.
- Viva (if required) to clarify any areas questioned in the written submission
Whilst every effort is made to ensure that the information contained on this website is correct, the College accepts no liability for any errors or omissions. Please note that details are subject to change without notice with regard to the provision of courses, course times and dates and the fees and charges levied.
Find out more
at an Open Day
It's great to read about a college and what it has to offer but there's really no substitute for experiencing it at an Open Day.
At our Open Days, our expert staff are on hand to tell you about our courses and what careers they lead to.
They'll also guide you through our application process, explain the different kinds of support available, and talk to you about the huge variety of enrichment activities that you can be part of.
With opportunities to talk to our current students, as well as take part in tours of our campus and halls of residence, an Open Day really is the best way to get a feel for what it's like to be a Loughborough College student.