The BSc Sports Science programme has been designed to enable a multidisciplinary study of sport and exercise science at a higher level. You will gain a scientific understanding of core principles in human physiology, psychology, and biomechanics for the purposes of supporting elite sporting performance. Additionally, you will develop a multitude of skills that are academic, commercial, and vocationally sought after.
First and second year modules provide an opportunity to study in all major disciplines of sports science, as well as an introduction to research and laboratory skills. Third year modules enable an extension of knowledge in these disciplines, including a research project in your final year. Throughout all three years you will engage in practicals which link theory to practice in both applied and vocational settings.
This programme aims to develop your professional, academic, and applied knowledge and expertise in order to enable progression into postgraduate study or employment.
Validated by Loughborough University
Renowned for our provision of high-quality teaching, you will be taught by a team of experienced academics, who have applied experience and are specialists in their chosen disciplines. Your learning will include lectures, seminars, online activities, workshops, practical tasks, laboratory skills, peer-group learning and independent study. Attention is paid to developing generic learning and academic skills required for success in Higher Education, particularly encouraging you to become an independent and self-motivated learner in order to achieve your full potential.
Assessments include a range of strategies, such as exams, essays, projects, presentations, and reports. Such diversity will allow you to experience various modes of academic and professional practice, developing and refining your skills in preparation for your next steps.
We have an excellent support system at College whereby you will meet your Academic Tutor within your first week of induction. They will work closely with you throughout the duration of your programme, supporting your development and tracking your academic progress, to ensure that you achieve your personal best.
All modules are 20 credits unless otherwise stated.
- Sport and Exercise Psychology
- Research and Academic Skills
- Human Physiology
- Fitness Training and Testing
- Biomechanics and Human Movement
- Sociology of Sport
- Employability and Placement
- Research Methods
- Sport and Exercise Physiology
- Sports Nutrition
Optional Modules (select 2 modules:
- Pedagogy in Sport and Physical Education OR Strength and Conditioning
- Contemporary Issues in Sport OR Psychology of Sport Performance
- Research Project (40 credits)
- Applied Sport and Exercise Physiology
Optional Modules (select 3 modules):
- Applied Performance Analysis OR Applied Strength and Conditioning
- Applied Sport Psychology OR Physical Education and Teaching
- Physical Activity and Health OR Applied Biomechanics
- Issues in Health and Elite Sport OR Nutrition for Sports Performance
*Modules may be subject to change
- Off-site induction and team building trips
- Students have the opportunity to apply to present their research at the annual Student BASES Conference
- Delegate attendance at the annual BASES conference
- Opportunity to gain work experience placements through the Loughborough Sport Coach and Volunteer Academy including sports science support and teaching placements
- Additional funded qualifications, workshops and courses including coaching courses, first aid and safeguarding
- 96 UCAS points
- At least five GCSEs at level 4 or above, including English Language and Maths (or equivalent)
- We welcome applications from mature students over the age of 21 and may be flexible in our normal offer if you show a commitment to succeed and have the relevant skills and experience of working within the industry.
UCAS code: C600
Regular group work and research are key features of the programme, where you will gain communication, teamwork, and analytical skills to enhance your transition into employment or postgraduate studies. We work with you to build your CV and consider career options throughout your programme.
Following the successful completion of this course, many of our students have gone on to apply for PGCE/ teacher training programmes to pursue a career in teaching. Others gain employment both within the sports industry and beyond, including graduate schemes in large organisations. Students have also progressed on to study at master’s (MSc/MA) level.
Company: MÃ¶lnlycke Health Care
Whilst every effort is made to ensure that the information contained on this website is correct, the College accepts no liability for any errors or omissions. Please note that details are subject to change without notice with regard to the provision of courses, course times and dates and the fees and charges levied.
Find out more
at an Open Day
It's great to read about a college and what it has to offer but there's really no substitute for experiencing it at an Open Day.
At our Open Days, our expert staff are on hand to tell you about our courses and what careers they lead to.
They'll also guide you through our application process, explain the different kinds of support available, and talk to you about the huge variety of enrichment activities that you can be part of.
With opportunities to talk to our current students, as well as take part in tours of our campus and halls of residence, an Open Day really is the best way to get a feel for what it's like to be a Loughborough College student.