With the aim of preparing you for a successful career in coaching, coaching support, coaching management or teaching, this three-year degree programme combines practical coaching with the academic theory of fundamental concepts within coaching, sports science and teaching. You will develop your practical and contextual knowledge, and reflect on and evaluate your own coaching behaviour by putting theory into practice through applied studies, placements and assessments.
Validated by Loughborough University
Coaching practice constitutes a large proportion of this programme, providing you with the opportunity to gain feedback from experienced, professional coaches. You will also be required to conduct your own research project, allowing you to explore a particular area of personal interest in the coaching field. The course uses a range of learning strategies, including lectures, seminars, practical sessions, workshops, online activities and peer-group learning. You are also encouraged to become an independent, self-motivated learner. Assessments include exams, essays, projects, presentations and reports. Such diversity allows you to refine various academic and professional skills to prepare for your next steps. Your academic tutor will work closely with you throughout the duration of your programme, supporting your development and tracking your academic progress to ensure that you achieve your best.
All modules are 20 credits unless otherwise stated.
- Fitness Training Physiology
- Coaching Practice 1
- Sport and Exercise Psychology
- Research and Academic Skills
- Applied Coaching Theory
- Biomechanics and Human Movement
- Employability and Placement
- Coaching Practice 2
- Research Methods
- Pedagogy in Sport and Physical Education
- Acquiring Movement Skills
- Psychology of Sports Performance
- Strength and Conditioning
- Research Project (40 credits)
- Advanced Coaching Practice
- Coaching Principles, Ethics and Welfare
- Applied Strength and Conditioning
- Applied Performance Analysis
- Applied Sport Psychology
- Physical Education and Teaching
- Applied Biomechanics
*Modules may be subject to change
- Off-site induction and teambuilding trips
- Students have the opportunity to apply to present their research at and attend the annual Student BASES Conference
- Gain practical experience through the Loughborough Sport Coach and Volunteer Academy, and coaching qualifications and workshops
- Gain full support to develop your own business idea via the Young Enterprise Start-Up Programme
- Hands-on coaching experience within core modules and coaching and teaching placements
- Students are eligible to compete for Loughborough University in BUCS competitions
- 96 UCAS points
- At least five GCSEs at level 4 or above, including English Language and Maths (or equivalent)
- We welcome applications from mature students over the age of 21 and may be flexible in our normal offer if you show a commitment to succeed and have the relevant skills and experience of working within the industry.
UCAS code: C617
Following completion of this course, many students apply for PGCE or teacher training programmes, or to study at master’s (MSc/MA) level. Others have gained employment in international coaching or National Governing Body programmes.
Whilst every effort is made to ensure that the information contained on this website is correct, the College accepts no liability for any errors or omissions. Please note that details are subject to change without notice with regard to the provision of courses, course times and dates and the fees and charges levied.
Find out more
at an Open Day
It's great to read about a college and what it has to offer but there's really no substitute for experiencing it at an Open Day.
At our Open Days, our expert staff are on hand to tell you about our courses and what careers they lead to.
They'll also guide you through our application process, explain the different kinds of support available, and talk to you about the huge variety of enrichment activities that you can be part of.
With opportunities to talk to our current students, as well as take part in tours of our campus and halls of residence, an Open Day really is the best way to get a feel for what it's like to be a Loughborough College student.