With the aim of developing you as a fully informed practitioner, this programme combines practical coaching with the academic theory of fundamental concepts within coaching, sports science, and teaching. This programme includes a blend of pedagogical, performance, and research-based modules, giving you the opportunity to develop your practical and contextual knowledge and reflect and evaluate your own coaching behaviour. This programme is designed to fully prepare you for a successful career in coaching, coaching support, coaching management or teaching.
The programme provides opportunities to develop your teaching and coaching skills under the guidance of experienced and professional coaches and you will use technology to support both your coaching and analysis. Additional opportunities to put theory into practice are available through applied studies, placements, assessments, and the Coach & Volunteer academy.
Validated by Loughborough University
Renowned for our provision of high-quality teaching, our programme uses a range of learning strategies, including lectures, seminars, practical sessions, workshops, online activities and peer-group learning. Additionally, you are encouraged and supported to become an independent and self-motivated learner throughout your time on the programme.
Assessments include a range of exams, essays, projects, presentations, and reports. Such diversity will allow you to experience various modes of academic and professional practice, developing your abilities and refining your skills in preparation for your next steps. Our programmes feature regular group work and research tasks through which you will gain the necessary communication, teamwork, and analytical skills required for future employability within this increasingly thriving sector.
Coaching practice constitutes a large proportion of this programme and provides you with the opportunity to gain feedback from experienced and professional coaches, which will enable you to reflect upon your own coaching behaviours. You will also be required to conduct your own research project which will allow you to explore a particular area of personal interest in the coaching field.
We have an excellent support system in place whereby you will meet your Academic Tutor in your first week of induction. They will work closely with you throughout the duration of your programme, supporting your development and tracking your academic progress, to ensure that you achieve your personal best.
All modules are 20 credits unless otherwise stated.
- Fitness Training Physiology
- Coaching Practice 1
- Sport and Exercise Psychology
- Research and Academic Skills
- Applied Coaching Theory
- Biomechanics and Human Movement
- Employability and Placement
- Coaching Practice 2
- Research Methods
- Pedagogy in Sport and Physical Education
- Acquiring Movement Skills
- Psychology of Sports Performance
- Strength and Conditioning
- Research Project (40 credits)
- Advanced Coaching Practice
- Coaching Principles, Ethics and Welfare
- Applied Strength and Conditioning
- Applied Performance Analysis
- Applied Sport Psychology
- Physical Education and Teaching
- Applied Biomechanics
*Modules may be subject to change
- Off-site induction and team building trips
- Students have the opportunity to apply to present their research at the annual Student BASES Conference
- Delegate attendance at the annual BASES conference
- Opportunity to gain practical experience through the Loughborough Sport Coach and Volunteer Academy
- Gain full support to develop your own sports business idea via the Young Enterprise Start-Up Programme.
- Funded coaching qualifications and coach education workshops
- Coaching and teaching placements within schools, academies and university sport to enhance your employability
- Hands on coaching experience within core modules
- At least five GCSEs at grade C or above, including English Language and Mathematics (or equivalent).
- 96 UCAS points.
- We welcome applications from mature students over the age of 21 and may be flexible in our normal offer if you show a commitment to succeed and have the relevant skills and experience of working within the industry.
UCAS code: CX61
Regular group work and research are key features of the programme, where you will gain communication, teamwork, and analytical skills to enhance your transition into employment or postgraduate studies. We work with you to build your CV and consider career options throughout your programme.
Following the successful completion of this course, many of our students have gone on to apply for PGCE/ teacher training programmes to pursue a career in teaching, with others gaining employment in international coaching, local authority coaching and National Governing Body programmes. Students can also progress on to study at master’s (MSc/MA) level.
Whilst every effort is made to ensure that the information contained on this website is correct, the College accepts no liability for any errors or omissions. Please note that details are subject to change without notice with regard to the provision of courses, course times and dates and the fees and charges levied.